Friday, February 2, 2018

Assignment 23: Can a Wrapped Object be Art?

In my work, I use lace to wrap two hands. I think hands are the most creative thing of a person so if I wrap one person's hand, and her hand also looks like she is praying, that shows she wants to get out of the wrap to free her belief. 
I think thinking about what to wrap is a hard thing. First, I think about wrapping a brush pot, but I do not have something like aluminium foil to show the line of the brush pot, so I give up. Then I think about wrap a person's hand with paper but that does not show well so I think about just wrap by lace and put in lightroom to make this black and white.
Christo and Jeanne-Claude did not just wrap one thing, they think about the creativity of one object and they try to use different colored wrapped things then wrapped one project by that thing to make that object more creative and more artistic. That can be why they called their works landscapes.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate what you have written and think you have some interesting ideas. I am wondering about the wrapping - the hands feel tied to me...or bound...but wrapping is another feeling, I think. Even in Christo and Jeanne Claude's work, when they wrapped, they used string or ribbon to wrap on top of another substance. This might have been important for you to consider. What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete

Sketchbook 15. Hands and feet